Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Jewelry Design using Adobe's Illustrator and Photoshop.

Many times customers like to see a quick design drawing of a piece of jewelry before they decide on the actual purchase and I use Adobe's Illustrator as well as Photoshop to do a fast and easy to scale drawing.
Scenario, I have a customer with eight diamonds of a specific size and wants me to make a hand engraved pendant incorporating the stones.
Adobe Ilustrator is great for this type of drawings, I first draw the outline of the pendant, in this case I used the rectangle tool, than I create circles with the same size of the diamonds, which I place in the approximate locations  where I think they could fit.
With the pen tool I draw the scrolls and leaves of the engraving, after this I rearrange the diamonds to fit the design and perhaps I have to move things around a bit, which is easy in Ilustrator.
From there, I print the design on paper and hand color it, this process is faster done by hand then it can be done in any other application,
Now I will take a picture, perhaps I place a reference object next to the drawing and photograph the entire thing.
It then gets imported in to Photoshop for some final tweaks and exported as a PDF which I then send to the customer for approval.

No comments: